Getting links to your site from websites outside your domain is the most important part of building back links and higher search engine rankings. The more back links you get, the higher your site will climb in the search engines. I have discussed many techniques on how to leverage web links for higher search engine rankings. I have decided to create a list of popular techniques used by today’s online marketers to get back links. You can always refer to this list as a guide and implement one technique at time to rank higher in search engine result pages.
First, I want to get one misconception out of the way. Many people equate building back links to reciprocal linking. In the case of reciprocal links, you need to provide a link on your site in exchange for a back link on another person’s site. Reciprocal linking is two way linking and not a very effective tool for link building. The techniques discussed here are all one way link building. You don’t have to provide any links to anybody to get back links to your site.
1. Post Classified Ads. The easiest methods. Chose a few sites only that provides ad renewal. Submit half a dozen ads and renew them regularly. Classifieds ads expire and if you don’t renew them, your ad will be gone along with the links.
2. Join A Webring It is a very old techniques and I have used them extensively in the past. A webring is a collection of websites in a particular niche linked together in circular fashion. Vistiors can jump to a website clicking on link in a website that is the part of the webring family. Check out a popular webring site called webring.com
3. Get Listed In Web Directories. Web directories were popular for searches prior to Google. But they still help get links to your site. When you submit to a web directory, make sure that your site is submitted to the relevant category. Here is a list of free web directories.
4. Create an eBook and List it in eBook Directories. Create an ebook and insert your website link in it. Creating an ebook is not difficult. There are many ways to do it on a week-end. Check out my post on how to make ebooks for almost free. Once you create an ebook, you can list in eBook directories. Here is a list of ebook directories where you can list your ebook for free.
5. Create a Forum and Get Listed in Forum Directories. There are lots of free software available to create a forum in your site. Forum is great for interacting with your site visitors. If you’re using a web hosting with cPanel, you can install a forum in one click using Fantastico. Once you have a forum, get it listed in forum directories. Big-boards.com is the largest forum directory and I have written a post about it in forum marketing. For a list of forum directories, check out this website.
6. Use Yahoo Answers. Posting thoughtful answers on Yahoo Answers and including a link to your website is still one of the best way to get a back link from a very authoritative source. Check out my 13 Steps Formula for driving traffic using Yahoo! Answers
7. Create a Blog and Get It Listed In Blog Directories. I have emphasized the importance of creating blog many times. You can create a blog for free using Blogger. Once you have a blog, get it listed in blog directories. Here is a list of blog directories.
8. Get Links From .edu and .gov Blogs. Search engines consider .edu and .gov domains as authoritative. Find blogs in these domains that are related to your site’s topic and leave thoughtful comments with back links. To find .edu and .gov domains in your niche, do a Google search using the syntax: site:.gov inurl:blog “your niche keyword”. Check out my article on how to get inbound links from government and university sites. If you have a relative in a government jobs and/or in an university, ask them to create a blog and put a back link to your websites.
9. Post Reviews Amazon and Barnes and Nobles will let you post your links on the reviews. If you have purchased a book recently, create a review and post a link back to your site. You have to be clever to make the relevant.
10. Write And Submit Articles. I have written a definitive guide on article marketing. It is one of the most popular online marketing technique. You cannot go wrong with this method. It has helped me lot in making my site popular.
11. Write Testimonials with Your Link. Have you recently bought a digital product and found it useful? Write a testimonial, put your links and send it to the product creator to included in his testimonials page.
12. Comment on YouTube Videos. When you watch a YouTube video, don’t leave the site without posting a comment with your link. You have already spent an x amount of time watching the video, spend another two minutes to build links to your web site.
13. Review on Script Directories. There are lots of free script directories and if you use them to download scripts for your websites, why not spend an additional few minutes to write a review with a link to your web site? Hotscripts.com is a popular script directory where you can write reviews on scripts.
14. Post in Document Sharing Sites. Create a small report or power point presentation with links to your site and upload them in document sharing sites. You can also post comments with links in some sites. Here is a list of document sharing sites.
15. Get Listed In Free Stuff Directories. The same concept applies here. Give something for free and get listed in free stuff directories. The best thing to give for free is a digital product like a report or an ebook. Here is a list of free stuff site
16. Submit Press Releases. I have discussed this topic in the past. You can submit a press release whenever there is a major event in your business. A major event is in the eye of the beholder. A major even can be adding a new feature to your site, increased in web traffic to your site or increased in revenue. Here is a list of free press release submission sites and how to submit a press release to get back links and traffic. Want to write an effective press release, check out my earlier post five steps to writing an effective press release.
17. Forum Posting. This is also a popular methods to drive traffic and build back links. For a detailed discussions on this topic, check out my free definitive guide to forum marketing
18. Get Back Links From Authoritative Sites. Getting back links from authoritative web 2.0 sites like social news and bookmarking sites, or article publishing sites are very hot now. Check out my list of 25 Sites For Web Traffic From High Page Rank Back links, 16 Authoritative Sites For Oneway links, 16 more high traffic, high page rank sites for free one way links
19. Upload Videos and Leave Comments in Video Sharing Sites. Just like the popular YouTube site, there are other video sharing sites where you can upload your videos and leave comments on others’ videos with back link to your sites. For a list of video sharing sites, click here.
20. Create a Link Triangle. Using Squidoo, HubPages and your web site, you can create a link triangle, for example link from HubPages to Squidoo lenses to your website. I have discussed how to implement this technique for rapid increase in search engine traffic in my post A Submit Free URL Strategy For Search Engine Traffic
21. Create a Top Site List. At one time top sites were very popular but they are less visible now. It is a list of sites that exchange links to each other and the sites sending the most traffic ranks on the top of the list. To implement this, you need a top site script and there are plenty of them available for free. Just do a Google search. The most important thing in implementing s Top Site list is make the sites relevant. Create a top site list in your own niche and only accept sites that are relevant to your topic.
There are many other ways to build oneway links to your site. You need to be on alert and whenever you see an opportunity, drop your link. Don’t think too mch about dofollow, nofollow or such other things that you have read in internet marketing forums. For me, a link is a link. Once your links are about, it will spread to other sites and some of them will be dofollow. If you are going to concentrate on dofollow links only, check out this dofollow blog
- How To Leverage Various Web Link Values For Higher Search Engine Rankings
- A New Submit Free URL Strategy For Search Engine Traffic
- 16 Authoritative Sites For Free Oneway Links
- 16 High Traffic, High PageRank Sites For Free Oneway Links
- Weekly Roundup February 22-28: Search Engine Optimization And Link Cloaking